Our smartphones have become the undetached part of our life and in fact it will be better to say that our smartphones are playing the role of a master and we are the slaves. The scenario is that we can forget to take our meal but we never forget to carry our smartphones with us even when we are going from one room to another or the lavatory. Well, this is not a criticism but the fact and the reason behind it can be the personal and secretive information this small machine holds inside it.
Right from purchasing items online to mobile banking and paying bills through mobiles, the technology has made everything so easy that standing for long in the queue is the talk of past. But with ease there is also a high threat to the stored information due to ample number of viruses and hackers around your system. It is suggested to not save your passwords and other sensitive information on the device because in case of theft not only you will lose your saved contacts and numbers but you might also be at a huge risk of getting your personal information public, which include your social media accounts, email accounts, messages, mobile banking accounts and synced files among others. So let’s check out few measures that can safeguard your information against the unidentified threat:
- In-built Security – In case you are using an Apple device, the chances of getting your information hacked are very less as the iOS operating system runs on highly secured encryption and the device cannot be opened without the owner’s set password or finger impression. But if you have an android device, it is always advisable to set the screen lock using a strong password, pin or pattern lock. The other screen lock options available are less secured and can allow the access to an unidentified person who resembles you or your voice.
- App-lock Apps – Most of us store passwords and other personal stuffs in our mobile phones. So it becomes necessary to secure those apps containing sensitive information through a third-party application lock. There are many such apps available for free at the Google Play Store and iOS app store to download.
- Restricted App permission – When you download an app on your phone, it asks for certain permissions before being installed but not all of them are necessary to permit. Always read the pop-up window thoroughly before allowing the access to all the information stored in your device, including your gallery, email address, contacts, text messages, etc. For example, a game app does not require permission to access your text messages. So make sure to read carefully before allowing such permissions, as not all apps are safe on Google Play.
- Secured Network – You are always at high risk when you are using a public Wi-Fi for doing personal and sensitive things, such as doing online banking. The professional hackers can easily detect your packets and translate it into a meaningful data to access your personal information such as passwords, user name, etc.
- Create Multiple User Account – It is always better to have more than one user account on your smartphone or tablet so that whenever you have to share your device with your sibling or anyone from your family or friends, you can safeguard your personal interest by not permitting the apps containing personal data to be accessed through other user accounts.
- Data Backup – Always make sure that you create a backup of your stored information in the device so that you do not face any issue in case the device gets stolen.
- Track the Lost Smartphone – The technology has gone so far that tracking the lost device is no troublesome anymore. Using various device tracking apps you can easily locate your lost device through GPS.
- Remote Wiping Permit – This in-built feature helps you in protecting your sensitive information and wipes out all the stored data from your device remotely so that no other person can access your personal stuff.
Apart from taking these measures, you should never leave your device in the custody of an anonymous. In case your device is facing any trouble, it is better to visit the official store of the brand your device belongs to rather than visiting any random mobile repair shop and leaving your handset there for a day or so. Even if you are visiting a nearby mobile service station to get a Tempered Glass Screen Protector for your device, you should wait at the store only until the task is completed.
Always remember that precaution is better than cure and once any of your personal information gets public, it is almost impossible to eradicate its traces completely. If you are using a smartphone, you have to be smarter to safeguard your personal interest.
Some people are born talented and become the masters of versatility. Such is the case with Bhumika Thakur, who owing to her vivacious nature and deep knowledge can talk non-stop over the topics related to the gadget world. She is passionate for gadgets and knows how to tame them with love and care. She believes in exploring new things and pacing up with the latest technology and is a regular contributor towards tech articles for Robobull.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.